What is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is a form of marketing done through electronic mails as a mean to promote product or service. Email marketing is one of the easiest, fastest and cheapest ways of reaching the customer. There are three types of emails send out to customers:
- Promotional Emails are sent to advertise about any product or service to the customer. These emails should be able to convince the customer and encourage them to purchase the product.
- Regular Emails are sent to strengthen the relationship with the customers and to establish relation with the prospects.
- Placing advertisements on the emails send by other people.
Advantages of Email Marketing:
Email marketing is an easy way to advertise on the World Wide Web. Besides being one of the easiest ways of advertisement, email marketing has other advantages:
- Email marketing has the ability to distribute the information to wide number of people at a low cost.
- If your email marketing campaign is strong enough, it can take the form of viral marketing which is the best way to spread the news.
- It takes less time than other marketing methods. (It generally takes just few seconds to send an email).
- More people rely on email as a way of communication making it possible for more audience to view the advertisement.
- Instead of waiting for the audience to visit your website, you can knock on their door steps and let them know about your offer.
- When we send out emails, we send them to the targeted market who wants to know more about our service or product and not bother those who are not interested.
Disadvantages of Email Marketing:
Every coin does have two sides and email marketing is not free from it. Along with the advantages, its drawbacks make many marketers take a step back in following it. The main downside being the unsolicited bulk-mail also known as Spam. In some countries unsolicited emailing is a punishable offense. The USA, for example has CAN-SPAM Act 2003 (Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act) which has very strict emailing rules like: no misleading information on emails, no deceptive subject lines, there should be an opt-out method, and promotional emails should identify itself as an advertisement and should include physical valid postal address. The other disadvantages include:
- Deliverability: Corporate firewalls, webmail systems and ISPs (Internet Service Provider) sometimes prevent suspicious emails. Hence there’s no guarantee of deliverability.
- Email Renderability: There are different email readers with different set-ups which make it difficult for HTML email creatives to be shown in the intended manner.
- Email Preferences: It is difficult to keep up with different recipients with different preferences for offers, frequency and content.
It is very important to create an effective email to be sent out to the readers. You email should provide all the valuable information, that’ll help the readers know more about your company and its product or services. You should have a strong benefit driven subject line to let the readers open the email. You need to build a good relationship with the subscribers in order to retain the current customers and build trust. It is necessary to make your email interesting and informative.
There are various tools available online for email marketing. You need to take the targeted email list and avoid buying just any other lists provided. You need to be creative and trustworthy to increase customers through email marketing.
OCTOBER 16, 2008 ISSUE #31