Web Content Management System is a computer software system which can be used by anyone, with or without IT background to create, manage, edit and publish the content of a website. The user can do this without the help of the web master. With CMS you can even generate new pages, manage users, modify the layout, categorize the content and manage many other things. There are two elements of CMS front-end and back-end. The front-end is the one which represents the appearance of the website as viewed by the users like the web pages, images, content, forms and other content. The back-end is the interface with the system’s database that holds the content and the templates that define the outlook of the website. Only the authorized users are able to reach the back-end of the website. These are protected by passwords. The figure below shows the principle elements of the content management system.
Benefits of using WCMS:
- With WCMS you can manage and update the content of your website without having any HTML knowledge. Most WCMS software use WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editing tools for people without any technical knowledge.
- You can create standard automated templates which could be applied to new or old content.
WCMS software comes with easy and frequent upgrades.
- You can provide specific or selective content access.
- You can manage the life cycle of a document with the help of WCMS software from the creation time till the document destructions.
- You can enhance search engine optimization.
- WCMS provides better consistency and security for your website.
- With this there is lesser possibility of duplication of content.
- You can also provide backup with version control with the help of these content management software. Continue reading